|« 25 August 2007 « - Back||Archives||Next - » 6 September 2007 »|
Fixed the Movable Type comments problem.
Short version: a MySQL table needed repair. Don't know why it went bad, but fixing that part made everything work. Long version/gorier details below the fold, in hopes of helping out anyone afflicted with similar.
In other tool talk, I'll definitely be waiting to upgrade to MT4 'round here. Glen's had a mostly good experience but still randomly has to re-run the upgrade (which is ... unusual), and Scalzi had a very rough go. That doesn't necessarily mean that I would too, but his report that you can paste rich text into MT's editor and have it CRASH the application really convinces me to wait until the next dot-release. Really not confidence-inspiring.
On top of that, I'm really not sure about staying with a tool from the company that undertook such a bizarre orgy of account suspensions recently (at LiveJournal) and has had major trouble undoing a number of inappropriate suspensions, let alone explaining itself in a timely or persuasive fashion during the whole affair.
But, given that the activation energy required to migrate to a new platform is so high (WordPress? eh.), inertia wins for now. MT3, I tolerate you.
The error message when trying to load the comment form was:
Based on a hint in the MT change history, I added the line to mt.cfg:
That made the error much more verbose:
Looking through the code behind those functions led me on a wild goose chase through: ObjectDriver.pm, ConfigMgr.pm, Plugin.pm, ObjectDriver/DBI.pm, ObjectDriver/DBI/mysql.pm, PluginData.pm, ErrorHandler.pm, Object.pm, App/CMS.pm, and Log.pm.
But the main thrust of what I found was, the table it would likely be trying to query was
Finally, an actual error message about an underlying problem... this command is what fixed everything:
After that one fix, everything came back. Running queries on the table worked with no error messages, putting the plugins back didn't trigger a single error, etc.
Hope this helps someone else out there. If you're getting the 'no result columns to bind' error, check the state of your tables; something may be in need of repair.
P.S. After fixing that, I've left DebugMode turned on -- not much visible difference during normal operation, but I did see a warning out of the commchallenge plugin:
Haven't submitted a patch (it's a minor error), but one way to fix it is to change the line:
So it's not undefined in the concatenation. Or a better way to fix might be to change it to an
Just a note that MT 4.01 seems to have fixed my last issue with MT (the constant re-running of the upgrade script). I'm handling less than 2 spam trackbacks a week now (that never go live) and haven't had a spam that I had to delete personally in a month.Add a comment...
Links, exploration and|
Photo by my wife
RSS Feed / Atom Feed
More Like This
Q Daily News
Laurel's TV Picks
Randall Bramblett: Thin Places
Doctors, Professors, Kings & Queens: The Big Ol' Box of New Orleans
Tears for Fears: Everybody Loves a Happy Ending
Ye olde Wishe Liste
|« 25 August 2007 « - Back||Next - » 6 September 2007 »|